Alma Colorado Post Office is the highest Post Office in North America at 10,578 feet. The town of Alma was founded in 1873, the town estimates population of 275.
Alma, has a contiguous residential area (on Mountain View Drive) extending to 11,680 feet (3,560ÃÂ m) above sea level,ÃÂ The town was named by a merchant named Mr. James, after his wife
The James A Fraley is the largest Post Office in the United States. This grand palace is located in New York CityÃÂ coveringÃÂ two full city blocks an 8-acreÃÂ footprint. Fraley was the 53rd Postmaster General. ÃÂ This Post Office Building is the main United States Postal Service building in New York City. ÃÂ Its ZIP code designation is 10001
The Fraley building prominently bears the inscription: “Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds”.
The annual “Operation Santa” started at the James A. Farley Main Post Office in Manhattan, and has been running every Christmas season since 1912.
Ochopee, Florida, our nation’s smallest Post Office. The building was once a tool shed and was hastily commissioned into a post office after a fire in 1953 that destroyed the original Post Office located in local country store.ÃÂ The town, which sits on the edge of the Everglades, and reportedly has a population of 11.
AÃÂ single postal worker works every day, selling postcards to tourists and answering questions from tour-bus riders. The zip code for Ochopee FL is 34141
Stratford Hall was built by Thomas Lee in the 1730’s, it is one ofÃÂ the great houses of America. ÃÂ Four generations of the Lee family lived there. ÃÂ Henry Lee and Francis Lightfoot Lee the only two brothers who signed the Declaration of Independence, Revolutionary War hero “Light Horse Harry” Lee and his son ÃÂ Civil war General Robert E Lee who was born at Straford in 1807.
Henry Lee IV worked in the post office department in 1825 through the influence of John Calhoun and Chief Justice Marshall.
Today Stratford Hall has its own USÃÂ Post Office situated beside the Gift shop.
Famous explorer Ponce de Leon, during his 1513 search for the FountainÃÂ of Youth, discovered the now-popularÃÂ DeLeon Springs, located just west of Daytona Beach.
TheÃÂ U.S. Post Office at 220 North Beach Street in Daytona Beach, Florida, United States is a historic building. On June 30, 1988, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Automobile racing became a regular pastime along the hard-packed beaches at the turn of the 20th Century. Ormond Beach became known as the “birthplace of speed” due to the various landspeed records set there. In 1947, the National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing was founded in Daytona Beach. Motorsports gained new ground in 1959 with the opening of theÃÂ Daytona International Speedway, which continues to satisfy hundreds of thousands of speed-hungry fans each year.
Today, the Daytona Beach area entertains approximately 8 million visitors each year.
Tourists visit from around the world to recreate ÃÂ and enjoy one of the most beautiful,ÃÂ family-friendly beaches in Florida.
The United States District Court was petitioned to change the name from Ã¢ÂÂDavisÃ¢ÂÂ, which had been the official name since 1949, to North Pole.ÃÂ U.S. District Judge Harry Pratt held a hearing and issued a decree making North Pole Alaska the official name.
The U.S. Postal Service is offering North Pole postmarks on holiday mail. ÃÂ To receive the North Pole postmark on your holiday cards, you should:
- Purchase stamps at any post office.
- Affix the stamps to envelopes of your choice.
- Address the sealed envelopes, with the cards enclosed, to those on your mailing list.
- Mail them in a larger envelope,ÃÂ box,ÃÂ Priority Mail or Express Mail package to:
NORTH POLE HOLIDAY CANCELLATION
4141 POSTMARK DR
ANCHORAGE AK 99530-9998
Christmas FL was originally called Fort Christmas, named for the time of year the fort was built around the year 1837.
The word “fort” was dropped when the US Post Office opened in 1892. ÃÂ The zip code for Christmas is 32709.
Christmas is located about 20 miles east of Orlando along State Route 50, a road traveled by those heading to Titusville on the Space Coast.
The post office is on your right shortly after seeing t
he green “Christmas” sign that marks the entrance to the town.
St. Augustine is the nation’s oldest permanently occupied European settlement, having been founded by the Spanish in 1565.
On Sept 8, 1565, Don Pedro Menendez deÃÂ Aviles came ashore and named a portion of land in honor of Augustine, a saint of the Roman Catholic Church whose feast day is Aug. 28
Spanish Dragoon Baracks
Government House dominates the west end of the Town Plaza. In 1937, the Works Progress administration remodeled the courthouse as “United States Post Office Customs House.”
The current Post Office is located at 99 King St, St Augustine, FL 32084
ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ Post Office
The following history of the De Soto venture is a lesson of our great country which led to the creation of the United States of America.
In 1539 Hernando de Soto, ÃÂ was granted license to explore Florida by King Charles V of Spain. After landing in May of 1539 his army spent the next 4 years threading it’s way some 4000 miles across what is now the southeastern United States. ÃÂ De Soto’s march was difficult, theÃÂ a Spaniards fought countless skirmishes and 4 major battles. De Soto’s troops were the first Europeans to push deep into North America, the first to see the Mississippi above its mouth. He found no gold, established no colonies, three years after landing he was felled by fever and buried in the Mississippi River. Sixteen months later his second in command led the ragged army back to Mexico.
In 1885 Thomas Mann, a confederate soldier applied to homestead 144 acres on the north end of Longboat Key. In 1885 he moved his family to a thatched hut to escape the yellow fever epidemic and began the ÃÂ development of Longboat Key.
In the early 1900’s the Mistletoe steamship transported visitors and fisherman from the mainland to Longboat Key and in this period the first buildings were constructed.
Visitors either traveled by land north from Sarasota or by boat from the mainland and Tampa. ÃÂ A bridge from Anna Maria Island to Longboat was built in 1926, but this bridge was washed away in 1932 by a high tide. ÃÂ The current bridge was completed in 1959.
Longbeach villiage became part of the town of Longboat Key in 1955. The picture on the left is the City Hall for Longboat Key.
The United States Post Office opened October 10, 1907, as “Longbeach” ÃÂ on the north end of the community. On February 1, 1958, the name of the Longbeach Post Office was changed to Longboat Key. There was also a post office named “Longboat” which opened on March 27, 1914, in the southern portion of the key in Sarasota County.
It was closed on January 14, 1922, and its functions were assumed by the Sarasota post office.